PITTSBURGH -- Forestry and construction equipment, such as skid steers, excavators, feller benchers and dozers, are subject to harsh working conditions. Replacing glass with Covestro’s polycarbonate
sheet in heavy equipment glazing applications offers many advantages due to polycarbonate’s
safety features including light weight, high impact strength and durability.
Frit Polycarbonate Sheet
- Makrolon® FP (frit polycarbonate) polycarbonate sheet from Covestro is a replacement for fritted glass used in heavy equipment cab applications.
- The hard coated polycarbonate product features a customizable black-out border to allow for innovative installation methods, eliminating common threaded hardware, clips and glazing channels.
- The black frit provides a bondable surface for dependable performance and protects the adhesive against UV degradation.
Covestro recently tested and approved silane modified polymer (SMP) adhesives, Teroson® MS 939™ (also known as Loctite® 5512™) and Teroson® MS 9399™ (also known as Loctite® 5590™), from adhesive manufacturer Henkel Corporation for use in bonding Makrolon® FP polycarbonate sheet to aluminum and steel frames. A variety of lab tests, including bead-knife adhesion, cataplasma conditioning, adhesive/substrate compatibility and environmental cycling, were used to evaluate the adhesive and polycarbonate sheet performance.
Key Features of Makrolon® FP Polycarbonate Sheet
Celeste Dunn, segment manager for transportation, Polycarbonate Sheet, MS Global AG, a Covestro Company, said:
“With Makrolon® FP and Loctite® elastomeric adhesives, the construction equipment industry has a new option for heavy equipment cab safety glazing that allows for enhanced aesthetics and reduced installation costs. The frit ink on the polycarbonate sheet provides high surface adhesion for the Loctite® adhesives, eliminating the need to accommodate bolts or other hardware necessary to secure polycarbonate windows”.
Makrolon® is a registered trademark of Covestro Group.
- In addition to surface adhesion, Makrolon® FP polycarbonate sheet offers excellent abrasion and chemical resistance, and long-lasting outdoor weathering performance due to its advanced hard coat technology.
- This protects against vandalism and graffiti, reducing unplanned maintenance and repair.
- The sheet is designed for applications that demand high optics, giving the operator a comfortable viewing area.
- Makrolon® FP is available in clear, standard, and custom tints.
HENKEL, LOCTITE and TEROSON are registered trademarks of Henkel and its affiliates in the U.S. and elsewhere.
About Covestro LLC
Covestro LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance polymers in North America and is part of the global Covestro business with 2015 sales of EUR 12.1 billion. Covestro manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical and sports and leisure industries. The Covestro group has 30 production sites around the globe and employed approximately 15,800 people at the end of 2015.
Henkel operates worldwide with leading brands and technologies in three business areas: Laundry & Home Care, Beauty Care and Adhesive Technologies. Founded in 1876, Henkel holds globally leading market positions both in the consumer and industrial businesses with well-known brands such as Persil, Schwarzkopf and Loctite. Henkel employs almost 50,000 people and reported sales of $20.1 billion and adjusted operating profit of $3.2 billion in fiscal 2015. Henkel’s preferred shares are listed in the German stock index DAX.
Source: Covestro LLC