Cutting edge Dyneema Purity® Black fiber addresses previously unmet need among surgeons for strongly contrasting material to simplify complex suture procedures.
|High Strength Medical Suture
Biomedical has recently unveiled its Dyneema Purity Black fiber, the first and only black ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene
(UHMWPE) medical fiber and the latest innovation in DSM’s Dyneema Purity UHMWPE portfolio.
Medical-grade UHMWPE Fiber
Richard C. Lehman, M.D., orthopedic surgeon and Medical Director of the U.S. Center for Sports Medicine, said:
“Having an additional distinct color for high strength orthopedic sutures enables surgeons to perform procedures with more confidence. With better suture management, we can achieve results faster, while simultaneously enhancing accuracy.”
15 Times Stronger Than Steel
- The Dyneema Purity Black fiber builds on the advantageous characteristics Dyneema Purity fiber is known for, including strength, 15 times stronger than steel, small profile, high pliability and proven biocompatibility, while answering a previously unmet need for more complex sutures for procedures such as shoulder fixation, knee ligament and meniscus repair.
- This innovative black fiber complements the already robust Dyneema Purity portfolio used in many different medical devices, such as surgical sutures and cables of SGX (white), VG (blue) and RP (radiopaque yellow) fibers.
Carola Hansen, Director of Product Management, Polyethylenes, DSM Biomedical, said:
“DSM is committed to improving the lives of patients through groundbreaking, research-based biomedical solutions. Dyneema Purity Black fiber further extends our leadership position in medical-grade polyethylene, addressing our partners’ challenge for smarter suturing contrast and enhanced design options. Dyneema Purity Black fiber lays the foundation for a new generation of surgical products for the most intricate medical procedures to truly help patients.”
Dyneema Purity® is a registered trademark of DSM.
- Like SGX 110 and VG 110, Dyneema Purity Black fiber has been initially developed for use in the design of sports medicine applications, such as orthopedic sutures.
- The addition of the black fiber allows for the manufacturing of more complex sutures incorporating several different fiber colors.
- With the orthopedic soft tissue repair market continuing to grow, the Dyneema Purity Black fiber, which strongly contrasts against surrounding tissues, provides physicians with more and better options to perform complex surgeries.
About Dyneema Purity® Fibers
Dyneema Purity® fiber is a unique fiber material. The medical-grade technology used to produce Dyneema Purity fibers is characterized by its distinctly higher strength and low elongation thus allowing lower profiles.
About DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™
Royal DSM is a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials. By connecting its unique competences in life sciences and materials sciences DSM is driving economic prosperity, environmental progress and social advances to create sustainable value for all stakeholders simultaneously. DSM delivers innovative solutions that nourish, protect and improve performance in global markets such as food and dietary supplements, personal care, feed, medical devices, automotive, paints, electrical and electronics, life protection, alternative energy and bio-based materials.
Source: DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™