Incertec Introduces Surface Activation® Instead of Chromic/Sulfuric Etching for Plating Plastics
Jun 6, 2011
Incertec now offers Surface Activation®, a proprietary process for plating plastics which offers numerous improvements over conventional methods. The Surface Activation® process allows a mixture of reactive gases to activate all surfaces of the plastic, even intricate shapes and blind holes. The gases cause the atomic structure of the polymer to change to
a depth of 25 microns, creating a polar and hydrophilic surface.
The plastic then becomes plateable without chromic/sulfuric etching; allowing for a permanent and stable treatment to a wider variety of polymers than ever before. The process is precise and repeatable, offering consistent and predictable results piece after piece. Surface Activation® is also a gentler process; the environmental and safety problems associated with chromic-acid etching are avoided.
Wide variety of plastics can be processed
- PEEK (carbon and glass filled)
- Ultem 1000, 2200, 2300, 2400
- Nylon 6 and 12
- 4X increase in adhesive strength
- Wider range of potential applications
- Improved long-term performance
- Masking techniques available where plating is prohibited
- Meets ELV requirements and RoHS initiatives ensuring recyclability No hexavalent chrome needed
- No dust from blasting
- Not labor intensive
Permanent and repeatable
- Treatment is permanent
- Expensive parts can be easily reworked
Incertec was founded in 1993 in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. Incertec, is a ground-breaking, specialty plating, metal finishing and engineering solutions company. They specialize in highly-engineered, custom plating solutions for industries and products where precision, knowledge and experience matter.