Kuraray Trading Co., Ltd. has developed a zip-up packaging bag, the first to utilize impermeable resin with superior aroma-retention qualities for its inner surface material.
Resealable Packaging Bags made of EVAL Resin
Utilizing Kuraray Co., Ltd.'s EVAL gas impermeable resin for the packaging bag's inner surface enables quality to be maintained over prolonged periods. Compared with polyethylene and other standard materials, the new inner surface material more effectively inhibits the absorption of aromas and medicinal elements. The addition of a zipper to the bag makes this item suitable for storing and resealing contents. Kuraray Trading will intensify its marketing activities by developing new applications for the bag in such wide-ranging fields as food, medicines, cosmetics and toiletries.
Product Development Background
- Aroma-retaining packaging bags, which require impermeability and resealability, generally have an inner layer material such as polyethylene acting as a barrier.
- However, polyethylene inner layers absorb aromas and medicinal elements, requiring increased volumes of the content's constituent elements.
- Depending on the type of aroma or medicinal element, delamination can arise between the inner and barrier layers making it difficult to open the package.
- Up until now there had been no zippers that could be bonded to impermeable materials (barrier sealants). However, owing to the joint development efforts undertaken by Kuraray and Fuji Tokushu Shigyo Co., Ltd it is now possible to produce an aroma-retaining, resealable packaging bag.
- The EVAL barrier sealant inhibiting the absorption of aromas and medicinal elements prolongs the time that content ingredients can be kept.
- Resealable after opening by means of a zipper (excluding cases when the contents are in liquid form)
- Depending on the type of aroma or medicinal element, inhibits packaging delamination
Intended Fields and Applications
- Food - Spices, food and beverages (coffee beans, tea, etc.)
- Medicines - Plasters, insect repellant, chlorine disinfectant, pharmaceutical sachets
- Cosmetics - Serums, milky lotions, Toiletries, etc Aromatic substances, air fresheners, all types of aroma chemicals
This EVOH resin and film (ethylene vinyl alcohol copolymer) resin forms a film that is the most effective gas barrier of any plastic. Because it shuts out oxygen, protecting anything wrapped in it from deterioration, it is suitable as a packaging material for mayonnaise, ketchup, and a broad range of other foods. Demand is also expanding in other fields. EVAL is used to make plastic gasoline tanks, as it prevents leakage of evaporated hydrocarbons and contributes to the reduction of vehicle weight. In the field of construction, EVAL pipes are used as a substitute for metal pipes in floor heating systems.
About Kuraray Trading Co., Ltd.
Kuraray was founded in 1926 for the purpose of commercializing synthetic rayon, which was cutting edge technology at the time. In 1950 during the post-World War II period, as Japan's first domestic producer of synthetic fiber based on original Japanese technologies, Kuraray became one of the world leaders in the commercialization of PVA (poval) fiber under the KURALON brand, ushering in Japan's pioneering era in the chemical synthetic fiber industry.
Source: Kuraray Trading Co., Ltd.