|Waste-derived Plastic Bottle
MILTON, GA -- Meridian Waste Solutions, Inc. has recently announced the signing of a non-binding term sheet with Advanced Lignin Biocomposites LLC.
Under the terms of the agreement, a joint venture would be formed between Meridian Waste, Meridian Innovations and Advanced Lignin to develop Advanced Lignin's biomaterials technology portfolio.
Cost-effective Biomaterial Production
- Advanced Lignin recognizes that while most consumers desire to purchase environmentally friendly products, and plastics in particular, they have trouble justifying the high cost and the often substandard performance delivered by these products.
- Advanced Lignin believes it has a viable pathway to produce low cost, high performance materials from lignin, an otherwise undervalued byproduct of the pulp and paper and cellulosic biorefining industries.
- Lignin is one of the most abundant organic polymers on Earth and is readily available for recovery.
- Advanced Lignin trusts that it can recover and convert lignin into higher value and better performing materials more cost effectively than those methods previously available.
- While Advanced Lignin plans to use its advanced methods to more cost effectively produce many different materials, including adhesives, renewable fuels and carbon fiber, its initial focus will be to produce high performance green plastics.
- Advanced Lignin has identified a pathway to produce green, lignin-based plastics that could ideally prove to cost less and outperform many plastics made from non-renewable resources, such as petroleum.
Lignin vs Petroleum Derived Plastics
While paper mills and cellulosic fuel providers generally burn the lignin contained in their byproduct stream as a source of green, plant based energy, there is a greener, and more valuable use for that lignin. As a rule of thumb, it takes about two pounds of petroleum to produce only one pound of plastic, whereas Advanced Lignin believes that it can displace about one pound of this petroleum derived plastic with only about one pound of lignin and as a result, dramatically reduce the carbon footprint of plastic products.
Plants take carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and essentially strip out and store carbon in the plant and release oxygen back to the atmosphere. Plants are therefore referred to as a 'carbon sink,' as they remove and store a significant amount of carbon from the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide is the most widely known greenhouse gas in the Earth's atmosphere, and environmentalists continue to seek pathways to reduce the amount generated, especially from that of nonrenewable sources.
While there is an estimated 239 billion tons of crude oil underneath the Earth's surface, diminishing at a rate of about 4.5 billion tons per year, there lies about 250 billion tons of rapidly renewable lignin sitting on the Earth's surface awaiting harvest, use and reuse. Advanced Lignin believes that its technologies will greatly contribute to positive economic and environmental success by more effectively recycling and reusing this naturally regenerating source of carbon.
Jeff Cosman, CEO of Meridian Waste, said:
"The solid waste industry has a responsibility to identify and maximize economic benefit from the materials it collects for processing and/or disposal. The plastic recycling platform has been our industry's staple in its effort to contribute to environmentally friendly and sustainable solutions. While Meridian Waste will continue to support these traditional recycling efforts, we believe that there are additional pathways that can achieve significantly greater results in terms of sustainability and economic benefit. Our new joint venture will explore one such pathway as it essentially participates and contributes to natures most efficient and ongoing carbon capture and recycling activities. We look forward to what lies ahead for our company and shareholders and will continue to announce our progress on an ongoing basis."
About Meridian Waste Solutions, Inc.
Meridian Waste Solutions, Inc. is a company defined by commitment to servicing customers with unwavering respect, fairness and care. It is focused on finding and implementing solutions to solid waste needs and challenges within the industry and for our customers. Meridian Waste's core business is centered on residential and commercial waste collection and disposal but it also includes a fundamental objective to seek rewarding environmental solutions through innovation.
Source: Meridian Waste Solutions, Inc.