SYDNEY, Australia -- The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has announced the issuing of a new $5 banknote on Guardian®, incorporating a fresh new design with enhanced security features and the world-first clear edge-to-edge window.
RBA's Next Generation USD 5 Banknote
Features of New RBA Banknote
First in the “Next Generation” series of banknotes, the new $5 note includes a range of innovative security features designed to keep Australian banknotes secure against counterfeiting into the future. The newly updated features include:
- world-first clear edge-to-edge window
- two tactile dots designed to assist people who are vision-impaired
- dynamic feature that change as the banknote is tilted
All other Australian denominations will be upgraded over the coming years, with each banknote in the series incorporating the same security features.
- Guardian® polymer production involves gravity feeding a molten polymer, composed of extruded polypropylene and other polyolefin, through a four-storey chamber.
- This creates sheets of the substrate used as the base material by many central banks in the printing of polymer banknotes.
The RBA's Assistant Governor (Business Services) Michele Bullock, said:
"We led the world in plastic banknotes. We are now leading the world in the design and technology in the way we've integrated the security features into this banknote."
The issuance of the new note is being supported by an information campaign to ensure that the public is able to identify the new banknote and its security features.
As part of this campaign, a new ‘RBA Banknotes’ mobile app has been developed as an interactive tool to explore all current Australian banknotes, including the new $5 banknote. The app enables users to learn about banknote design and security features, and how to handle counterfeit and damaged banknotes.
About Innovia Security
Innovia Security's core values are fundamental, enduring and absolute. Business ethics and integrity are central to the spirit of its values, which serve as a reference for expected behavior as it manages its daily business.
Source: Innovia Security