|EnduroSharp™ Scraper Blades
PARIS, France -- Solvay
has announced at JEC World 2017 (Hall 5A, Booth L42) that it’s high-performance Torlon® polyamide-imide (PAI)
enabled Performance Plastics Ltd. to innovate its new line of EnduroSharp™ Scraper Blades for aerospace maintenance applications.
- Torlon® PAI enabled these unique new tools to be tough enough to maintain their edge longer than blades molded from competitive polymers, but safe enough to remove challenging materials from delicate surfaces.
PAI - Safer Choice Over Metals
Tom Mendel, president of Performance Plastics, said:
“Designing a scraper blade that is both safe and effective for today’s aircraft is a deceptively simple challenge. Polymers were obviously a safer choice over metal blades, but only Torlon® PAI met all of our criteria without some tradeoff in design, cost, performance or processing.
Solvay’s material allowed us to develop a new generation of molded scraping tools that uniquely combined high strength and stiffness, a sharp edge, machinability and strong resistance to heat, wear and chemicals.”
Safety Enhancement with PAI Blade
The recently launched Torlon® PAI blade handles and inserts enable aerospace maintenance professionals to safely remove elastomeric coatings, boots, tapes, sealants, adhesives, gap fillers and tape residue from fiber-reinforced composite, plastic, glass, ceramic or metal substrates and fasteners. The PAI blades can also be used in conjunction with heat- or chemical-assisted skiving processes to expedite material removal.
Torlon® PAI combines the exceptional performance of thermoset polyimides with the melt-processing advantage of thermoplastics.
- While polyetherimide (PEI) and polyetheretherketone (PEEK) were candidates for this application, both materials needed to be machined from molded blanks to give the blade a sharp edge.
- In comparison, Torlon® PAI’s excellent processability allows the blades to deliver a sharp edge right out of the mold – eliminating the time, cost and material waste of machining.
- Solvay’s material, however, can be machined to permit one-off designs, such as blades that incorporate a gap to scrape around fasteners.
- Torlon® PAI’s thermoset-like properties also allows EnduroSharp™ blades to withstand the high heat and friction of re-sharpening, which can result in a burr on blades fabricated from PEEK and PEI polymers.
Select grades of Solvay’s Torlon® PAI retain toughness, high strength and high stiffness at temperatures up to 275°C (525°F) and the material’s broad chemical resistance extends to strong acids, most organics and commercial aerospace fluids and solvents.
About Performance Plastics Ltd.
Founded in 1982 in Cincinnati, Performance Plastics Ltd. has partnered closely with customers to leverage the performance advantages of high temperature thermoplastics. The company offers deep expertise in molding specialty polymers, such as PEEK, PAI, PEI, fluoropolymers and other high-performance thermoplastic compounds. It has a long history of collaborating with world class polymer scientists and industry-leading material suppliers to develop unique custom resin formulations targeting markets ranging from medical, industrial, oil and gas, automotive and aerospace.
About Solvay Specialty Polymers
Solvay Specialty Polymers manufactures over 1500 products across 35 brands of high-performance polymers – fluoropolymers, fluoroelastomers, fluorinated fluids, semi-aromatic polyamides, sulfone polymers, aromatic ultra-high performance polymers, high-barrier polymers and cross-linked high-performance compounds – for use in Aerospace, Alternative Energy, Automotive, Healthcare, Membranes, Oil and Gas, Packaging, Plumbing, Semiconductors, Wire & Cable, and other industries.
Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical company, committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. Solvay innovates and partners with customers in diverse global end markets. Its products and solutions are used in planes, cars, smart and medical devices, batteries, in mineral and oil extraction, among many other applications promoting sustainability. Its lightweighting materials enhance cleaner mobility, its formulations optimize the use of resources and its performance chemicals improve air and water quality.