Toho Tenax Europe GmbH
manufactures the assembly carrier for the Porsche GT3 Cup II. It is the first automotive part being produced in serial production with Tenax® Part via Preform (PvP) technology in Heinsberg, Germany, supplied directly to the OEM. Within the global Teijin Group, Toho Tenax is expanding its composites businesses by integrating advanced composite technologies to form a dedicated Teijin composites business unit.
Tenax® Carbon Part in Porsche GT3 Cup II
The assembly carrier is produced based on a preform made with random fiber spraying, substituting woven fabric preforms.
- A carbon fiber treated with binder is sprayed, consolidated and trimmed automatically by a robotic system developed at Toho Tenax Europe GmbH.
- Compared to the current state of the art process – to use fabric based on carbon fiber being draped manually in the mold – the Tenax® PvP process produces preforms automatically without internal cuts and draping effects.
- The homogenous PvP preform leads to a perfect load behavior of the part.
- At the same time, costs are significantly reduced due to the automation of the whole preforming process, providing reduced intermediate steps and adopted quality assurance efforts.
- The injection is using the HP-RTM technology including an in-mold coating step providing easy to paint surfaces with high quality.
About Toho Tenax
Toho Tenax is the core company of the Teijin Group's carbon fibers business. The Toho Tenax Group is a leading carbon fiber manufacturer worldwide with facilities in Japan, Germany and the USA and a producer of a variety of semi-finished materials and parts based on carbon fibers. Toho Tenax Europe GmbH is an affiliate being located in Germany and responsible for the European market.
About the Teijin Group
Teijin is a technology-driven global group offering advanced solutions in the areas of environmental value; safety, security and disaster mitigation; and demographic change and increased health consciousness. Its main fields of operation are high-performance fibers such as aramid, carbon fibers & composites, healthcare, films, resin & plastic processing, polyester fibers, products converting and IT. The group has some 150 companies and around 19,000 employees spread out over 20 countries worldwide. It posted consolidated sales of JPY790.7 billion (USD 7.4 billion) and total assets of JPY 823.4 billion (USD 7.7 billion) in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2016.
Source: Toho Tenax Europe GmbH