GUANGZHOU, China -- At CHINAPLAS 2017, for the first time BASF will showcase prototypes based on the winning entries from the “Design it. Live it. Love it.” design competition launched at CHINAPLAS 2016. The two prototypes demonstrate how advanced materials can inspire designers to innovate.
Creative Potential of Advanced Materials
|Dumbbell-shaped Exercise Equipment
The bubble furniture, a combination of a lounge chair and bed, enveloped in an air inflated core structure, provides a private and quiet living environment whether it is at work or at home.
- It is made with the durable thermoplastic polyurethane Elastollan® by BASF, to withstand the rigors of daily wear and tear.
- BASF’s Haptex®, an innovative polyurethane solution for synthetic leather, is used as the upholstery material to provide excellent haptics.
Dumbbell-shaped Exercise Equipment
Dumbbell-shaped exercise equipment can even be used for doing push-ups without the risk of damaging floors, as it is made with BASF’s Infinergy®, the world’s first expandable thermoplastic polyurethane, which possesses excellent resilience, tensile strength, and elasticity.
|TeamUP Chair and PaiBand
Visitors to CHINAPLAS 2017 can also explore other innovations inspired by designfabrik®, BASF’s design consultation center, and made possible by advanced materials from BASF.
- This includes the TeamUP Chair, the co-creation of BASF, ITO Design and Interstuhl, made with 20 different materials, from the wheels to the upholstery, for modern office environments.
- PaiBand, a wearable health and fitness device for children, produced by Putao Technology will be also on display.
- The wrist strap made with BASF’s high-performance TPU Elastollan provides excellent haptic experience and durability for children.
designfabrik, BASF’s design consultation center, supports customers at the early stages of the product development with materials, sample pieces, and various services.
About BASF’s Performance Materials Division
BASF’s Performance Materials division encompasses the entire materials know-how of BASF regarding innovative, customized plastics under one roof. Globally active in four major industry sectors - transportation, construction, industrial applications and consumer goods - the division has a strong portfolio of products and services combined with a deep understanding of application-oriented system solutions. Key drivers of profitability and growth are our close collaboration with customers and a clear focus on solutions. Strong capabilities in R&D provide the basis to develop innovative products and applications. In 2015, the Performance Materials division achieved global sales of € 6.7 bn.
BASF creates chemistry for a sustainable future. It combines economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. The approximately 112,000 employees in the BASF Group work on contributing to the success of our customers in nearly all sectors and almost every country in the world. Its portfolio is organized into five segments: Chemicals, Performance Products, Functional Materials & Solutions, Agricultural Solutions and Oil & Gas. BASF generated sales of more than €70 billion in 2015. BASF shares are traded on the stock exchanges in Frankfurt (BAS), London (BFA) and Zurich (BAS).