|ELIX – Right Choice of Partner for 3D Printing Applications
TARRAGONA -- ELIX Polymers
has developed additional specialty grades of ABS
optimized for 3D printing, in the wake of high interest shown in its initial offering at K 2016 in Düsseldorf last October.
Fabian Herter, Industry Manager Automotive, said:
“We got an improved idea of the high potential growth rates of the 3D printing market during the show. We think ELIX can be an important player in this exciting market. 3D printing fits well with our strategy of focusing in specialty businesses with tailor-made products and services.”
ELIX – Right Choice of Partner for 3D Printing Applications
ELIX is the right partner for companies involved in 3D printing, thanks to its flexibility in production and the huge bank of polymer knowledge it has acquired over the last 40 years, Fabian Herter says. He also notes that 3D printing applications are in line with the ELIX strategy of developing a more sustainable portfolio.
Fabian Herter added:
“3D printing technology can cut costs and time in development, a more efficient use of materials is possible, and final products can be customized to make them fitter for purpose.”
ELIX will offer 3D printing
grades that have been optimized after detailed analysis of specific customer needs.
- Some new grades have already been validated at filament producers, 3D printer makers and final part manufacturers who use Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF), more commonly known as FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling).
- This technology has a broad scope of applications, in sectors such as automotive, healthcare, aerospace, E&E, consumer products, and toys.
So far, ELIX has optimized five ABS grades for 3D printing, each of them fulfilling different customer requirements. All exhibit improved printing performance, low warpage, dimensional precision and high resolution.
Optimized ABS Grades for 3D Printing
The portfolio includes:
- a general purpose grade (ELIX ABS-3D GP),
- a grade that fulfill food contact materials regulation no. 10/2011 and biocompatibility standards (ISO 10993-1 and USP class VI) for food contact and medical applications (ELIX ABS-3D FC),
- a high impact grade (ELIX ABS-3D HI),
- a grade with improved interlayer adhesion for complex parts (ELIX ABS-3D LA), and
- an ABS reinforced with natural fibers that produces a wood-like appearance when used on special 3D printers (ELIX ABS-3D NF).
All grades are available in natural or pre-colored in various shades.
ELIX intends to supervise the complete 3D printing value chain. To this end, it is already cooperating with several leading printer producers and 3D software providers.
Antonio Prunera, Head of Quality Business Development, said:
“The scope is not only to develop new formulations, but also to identify the right partners and create a database with validated filament producers.”
ELIX is offering technical support, including recommendations on correct processing set-ups: extruder screw design, drive system and spool system. The objective is to obtain the filament with the best quality properties in typical thicknesses of 1.75 mm and 2.85 mm and validate the material to meet the requirements of the final application. ELIX has defined its own demanding material tests to evaluate the final filament quality.
About ELIX Polymers
ELIX Polymers is among the leading manufacturers of ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene) resins and derivatives in Europe. Operating from its head office in Tarragona, Spain, and with Sales support teams in all key markets, the company is a specialist provider of tailor-made solutions for high quality thermoplastics applications. With a 40-year track record, ELIX Polymers is an expert in ABS polymers, and it has the resources, the expertise and the experience to create value for its customers through highly individual solutions.
ELIX Polymers offers a broad range of material solutions for a variety of industries and applications, meeting the stringent requirements of the Healthcare, Automotive, Appliances, Electronic, Toys and other industries.
Source: ELIX Polymers