FRANKFURT, Germany -- Solvay has announced at ISH 2017 that two Ryton® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) grades
have been certified for drinking water contact according to NSF 61 (USA), WRAS (UK), W270 DVGW and KTW (Germany), ACS (France), and DM 174 (Italy). These latest additions to Solvay’s broad portfolio offer metal replacement solutions for plumbing, heating and sanitary applications.
Metal-replacement Solutions for Drinking Water Contact
Solvay’s metal replacement
materials eliminate the risk of galvanic corrosion and scale build-up and help reduce costs and facilitate compliance with tighter regulations on permissible levels of lead in drinking water.
New Ryton® PPS Grades
- The two new glass-filled (40 percent) Ryton® PPS grades - R-4-242-NA (natural) and R-4-242-BL (black) - replace metals as well as competitive engineering plastics and address major challenges for end-products in potable water processing, such as heat and water meters, water pumps, boiler components, faucets, cartridges, along with balancing and other valves.
- Both grades benefit from new glass fiber sizing technology giving them a clear edge over most other commercially available PPS in this market segment, especially for applications in pressurized hot water systems.
Terry Brcka, Global Product Manager for Solvay’s Specialty Polymers Global Business Unit, said:
“Our new Ryton R-4-242 grades expand Solvay’s offering of cost-competitive, high-performance polymers that can effectively replace brass and other metals in demanding plumbing, heating and sanitary products. They were specially developed to deliver a superior property profile and comply with the strictest regulatory requirements for potable water contact.”
- The new Ryton® PPS grades combine high mechanical performance properties, including excellent creep resistance in hot water and steam, with outstanding chemical and thermal oxidative resistance at elevated temperatures.
- They offer exceptional dimensional stability, including little to zero moisture absorption, and superior resistance to prolonged hot water exposure up to 140°C (284°F).
- The two materials also exhibit very low viscosity, which accommodates the design and injection molding of highly complex and/or thin-walled parts.
Philippe-Jacques Leng, Global Market Manager, Construction for Solvay’s Specialty Polymers Global Business Unit, added:
“Worldwide there is a growing demand for drinking water applications and these Ryton grades are an important addition to our extensive range of certified material solutions for this dynamic market. They will help us meet the needs of customers in search of a wider choice of globally available, advanced materials opening new opportunities for competitive product differentiation and future growth in the plumbing, heating and sanitary sectors.”
Solvay offers the industry’s broadest selection of high-performance polymers for metal substitution applications in water handling systems. In addition to the new Ryton® PPS grades, Solvay’s portfolio includes Amodel® polyphthalamide (PPA), Ixef® polyarylamide (PARA), KetaSpire® polyetherether ketone (PEEK), Omnix® high-performance polyamide (HPPA), and a family of cross-linkable polyethylene compounds (Polidan® PEX). Complementing these amorphous and semi-crystalline products, Solvay has various sulfone based polymers suitable for hot water plumbing applications, including Udel® polysulfone (PSU), Veradel® polyethersulfone (PESU), Radel® polyphenylsulfone (PPSU), and Acudel® modified PPSU. In addition to these, Solef® polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) has a proven fit in piping systems for ultrapure water, hot water and concentrated acids.
® Registered trademarks of Solvay
About Solvay Specialty Polymers
Solvay Specialty Polymers manufactures over 1500 products across 35 brands of high-performance polymers – fluoropolymers, fluoroelastomers, fluorinated fluids, semi-aromatic polyamides, sulfone polymers, aromatic ultra-high performance polymers, high-barrier polymers and cross-linked high-performance compounds – for use in Aerospace, Alternative Energy, Automotive, Healthcare, Membranes, Oil and Gas, Packaging, Plumbing, Semiconductors, Wire & Cable, and other industries.
is a multi-specialty chemical company, committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. Solvay innovates and partners with customers in diverse global end markets. Its products and solutions are used in planes, cars, smart and medical devices, batteries, in mineral and oil extraction, among many other applications promoting sustainability. Its lightweighting materials enhance cleaner mobility, its formulations optimize the use of resources and its performance chemicals improve air and water quality.