|New Zeniva PEEK Lubricated Grade
ALPHARETTA, Ga. -- Solvay
announced at the recent AAOS 2017 that it has introduced two new lubricated grades of Zeniva® polyetheretherketone (PEEK)
to its portfolio of biocompatible polymers for use in implantable devices.
Biocompatible Lubricated PEEK
New Zeniva® ZA-500L and ZA-600L PEEK each offer melt indexes specifically tailored for injection molding, enabling broader design latitudes for customers developing next-generation implantable devices.
Dane Waund, global marketing manager for Healthcare at Solvay’s Specialty Polymers business unit, said:
“Zeniva® PEEK continues to drive innovation in long-term implantable devices, including more complex and integrated designs. With the introduction of these two lubricated grades of Zeniva® PEEK, our customers can better leverage the benefits of injection molding over conventional machining processes, and introduce differentiated and higher-performing new concepts more quickly to the fast-growing implantable device market.”
Benefits Over Metals
- Solvay’s implantable Zeniva® PEEK is well-recognized for the numerous benefits it offers vs. implantable metals.
- Its modulus of elasticity is similar to that of cortical bone, minimizing reduction in bone density by maintaining normal stress on surrounding bone tissue.
- It also eliminates the risk of allergic reactions to heavy metals, and its radiolucent properties will not interfere with X-ray and computed tomography scanning procedures.
Jim Hicks, Technical Development Engineer for Healthcare at Solvay’s Specialty Polymers global business unit, said:
“The orthopedic industry has challenged its supply partners to deliver biocompatible polymers that enable more innovative implantable device designs. These new additions to our Zeniva® PEEK portfolio offer new possibilities for designing and molding unique, new implants that incorporate smaller, thinner and lighter components, and to deliver them consistently within a validated medical production process compatible with long term implant applications.”
Zeniva® PEEK is part of Solvay’s Solviva® family of biomaterials, which also includes three other distinct polymer chemistries to offer a broad and growing range of options for implantable devices used in orthopedics, cardiovascular, spine and other applications.
- In addition to Zeniva® PEEK, the portfolio includes Proniva® self-reinforced polyphenylene, Veriva® polyphenylsulfone and Eviva® polysulfone. All Solviva® Biomaterials can be sterilized using conventional methods, such as gamma radiation, ethylene oxide and steam.
- They demonstrate no evidence of cytotoxicity, sensitization, intracutaneous reactivity or acute systemic toxicity, based on biocompatibility testing as defined by ISO 10993:1.
- These sterilizable products are available in grades for injection molding or extrusion, as well as stock shapes for machined components.
About Solvay Specialty Polymers
Solvay Specialty Polymers manufactures over 1500 products across 35 brands of high-performance polymers – fluoropolymers, fluoroelastomers, fluorinated fluids, semi-aromatic polyamides, sulfone polymers, aromatic ultra-high performance polymers, high barrier polymers and cross-linked high-performance compounds – for use in Aerospace, Alternative Energy, Automotive, Healthcare, Membranes, Oil and Gas, Packaging, Plumbing, Semiconductors, Wire & Cable, and other industries.
Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical company, committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. Solvay innovates and partners with customers in diverse global end markets. Its products and solutions are used in planes, cars, smart and medical devices, batteries, in mineral and oil extraction, among many other applications promoting sustainability. Its light weighting materials enhance cleaner mobility, its formulations optimize the use of resources and its performance chemicals improve air and water quality.