Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene/ ABS is an impact-resistant resin.
- It is made up of three monomers: acrylonitrile, butadiene and styrene.
- While acrylonitrile component contributes to chemical resistance & heat stability; butadiene delivers toughness & impact strength; styrene provides rigidity & processability.
- Although its chemically resistant but gets easily attacked by polar solvents.
- ABS offers greater impact properties and slightly higher heat distortion temperature than HIPS.
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene can be injection-molded, blow-molded, or extruded.
- ABS is sold in its pellet form and can be molded according to the end use application.
- Appliances and electrical/electronic good items, pipe fittings, automotive are some major applications of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene.
Fig. Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene Structure
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene Advantages and Disadvantages