What is a Barrier Plastic?
A barrier plastic prevents the diffusion of a substance above a certain limit. Depending on the targeted application, the substance may be gases (O2
) moisture, hydrocarbon vapors, contaminates, odors, flavors, aromas. For example:
- In industrial applications, oxygen transmission barrier (OTR) is generally the most important
- Moisture vapor barrier (WVTR) is a primary requirement of flexible packaging applications for pharmaceuticals and foods
- Carbon Dioxide Barrier (CO2) is primarily important for carbonated beverages and mold retardation.
- Chemical or hydrocarbon barrier (Odor & Flavor) is important for food as well as cosmetics packaging
- Light Barrier is needed whenever light can alter the effect of gases on products
How does a Barrier Plastic work?