OK
The Universal Selection Source:
Plastics & Elastomers
Article

Innovative Photovoltaic Solar Film Solutions

SpecialChem / Apr 13, 2009

The explosive global growth of the photovoltaic (PV) market on the order of 30% is creating strong opportunities for related specialty engineered material systems. The combination of high growth, new cell technologies, and a considerable push to cut costs is spurring many new film technologies with the market replete with new film choices and alternative manufacturing methods. There are two types of commercial solar cells: 'first generation' crystalline silicon (c-Si) which constitutes 90% of the market, and the newer 'second generation' thin film technology, which holds promise of lower cost, making up the remaining 10%. PV modules often have a sheet of glass on the front (top) side that allows light to pass through while protecting the semiconductor wafers from environmental effects. Back sheet materials for PV modules provide electrical insulation, protection from the environment, and structural support.

Be the first to comment on "Innovative Photovoltaic Solar Film Solutions"

Leave a comment





Your email address and name will not be published submitting a comment or rating implies your acceptance to SpecialChem Terms & Conditions
European Forum for Industrial Biotechnology and the Bioeconomy 2018
Channel Alerts

Receive weekly digests on hot topics

Back to Top